Family members

Family members of a foreigner, holding a work permit in the Faroes, can also apply for a residence permit here. Family members are: husband/wife, cohabiting partners and/or their children. The holder of a work permit in the Faroe Islands must document that he/she is able to support the family (permits granted after the Sports Agreement are exempt from the requirement):  FO2 (Danish version FO2).

Documents to be included:

1) Copy of your marriage certificate and copies of the children´s birth certificates,
2) Documentation that the holder of the work permit is able to support himself/herself and the family, in the form of an employment contract. If the work permit holder is already working in the Faroe Islands, the applicant needs to submit his/her pay slips for the last three months. (This requirement applies to first-time applications as accompanying family members submitted on or after 2 September 2023.)
3) If not married, a declaration of cohabitation is required - such a document certifies the couple has been living in a marital relation at the same address for a certain length of time. Lease contracts, letters received at the joint address, declarations from employer or landlord can be included as further evidence,
4) Copy of the applicant´s passport.

Family members can apply for an extension using the same application form FO2.


The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration provides guidance for applicants.
Applications can be sent to: 
Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration
Carl Jacobsens Vej 39
DK-Valby 2500 +45 72142003

Write to SIRI:
Choose the link concerning the Faroe Islands on

Determined by certain special circumstances the local police may allow first time applicants staying in the Faroes to submit their applications to:
Police Headquarters
Húsagøta 3
P.O.Box 3018
FO-110 Tórshavn
Faroe Islands
Tel.: +298 35 14 48