If you are a non-Nordic citizen, a permit is needed to live and work in the Faroe Islands for long term basis. Nordic citizens (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in the Faroe Islands without a visa or residence and work permit). Work and residence permits hold different requirements and conditions so it is important to check with the appropriate authorities in Denmark if you are uncertain or have questions about your eligibility. The two main authorities for processing cases in the Faroe Islands are The Danish Immigration Service and Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

Here below, you can find a general overview of permits applicable in the Faroe Islands:

Work and Residence Permits

Hired Employee

Eu scheme




Au Pair

Family Reunification

Spouses/ Cohabiting partners


Other family members

Danish Authorities in Denmark

The Danish Immigration Service 
Danish Immigration Service 
Ryesgade 53 
DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø 
Tel.: +45 35 36 66 00 
Fax: +45 35 30 84 60

The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration
Njalsgade 72C
P.O. Box 2000
2300 Copenhagen S +45 72142000